"I usually turn the channel when I see commercials about starving children. It makes me too sad. But something about what you are doing touched me and I want to help. I am only 16, but I think that I have to do something. I have to help these starving children." Emily A., Oklahoma
Because Mercy Meals is a volunteer-driven effort, there are many ways to help. Of course, the easiest way is to make a tax-deductible monetary contribution. we have to purchase all supplies and ingredients from vendors, and could not exist without the fianancial support of individuals, corporations, schools, clubs, and people like you.
There are also many other ways to help. When you volunteer your time or resources, we save money that can then be used to purchase additional ingredients and supplies for our life-saving meals. Some of our needs are great, some are much smaller and easier to fulfill, but every single one of them needs to be fulfilled for us to continue our fight against world starvation.
- Package food - it is a wonderful, fulfilling way to feel that you are making a real difference! You can see the progress with each bag you package and box up. From the very young to senior citizens, any group can be involved in this process. The most effective way to help in this manner is to do fundraising. Since there is currently a high demand for food packaging sessions, and it is challenging for us to keep up and replenish the additional ingredients and supplies used, we urge all volunteers to help us cover the cost of the meals they package by bringing in a financial contribution.
On average, each volunteer packages close to two boxes of food in a two-hour session. At $0.23 per meal, that equals $80-$100 worth of ingredients. We want to give everyone the opportunity to package our meals, but the reality is that we must also cover the cost of the ingredients. Like many nonprofit organizations, we are suffering from the effects of the current economic downturn. We realize that the donation of your time is very valuable, and don’t want to turn anyone down for lack of funding, but we have found that it is possible for each volunteer to raise at least $25 or more by asking their family, friends, and/or neighbors for support.
We would be happy to provide you with literature and other promotional materials to support you in your fundraising efforts. Check out our satellites directory to see where your closest office is located.
- If you would like to volunteer at Mercy Meals Yankton, please call us at 605.260.0293 or email.
- Do you eBay? If you are a seller, you can donate a portion of your proceeds to Mercy Meals by registering with Mission Fish. They handle all the details - just make sure you designate your donation to go to Mercy Meals.
- Think about how often you use a search engine to search the internet. Wouldn't it be nice if you could support your favorite charity while doing so? Well, now you can by making GoodSearch your default search engine and choosing Mercy Meals as the default charity. You can also shop online at GoodShop (choose from more than 500 great stores incl. Amazon, Best Buy, Dell, PetSmart, and Wal-Mart) and designate Mercy Meals as the charity to receive a portion of the purchase price. It's that easy!
- Make a financial contribution by clicking on the "Donate" link above.
- You could take the big plunge and become a member of our growing network of partners and satellites.
There are countless ways to get involved and be a part of this massive campaign to end death by starvation. Can you think of another way to help? Let us know!
Thank you for your continued support of Mercy Meals - we can't do it without you!